Hi-van is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on my site, I may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Van life is full of excitement and new adventures, but it’s important to protect your belongings when you’re not in the vehicle. The last thing you need is to worry about people getting too close to the van or trying to take something, so having a security camera can provide much-needed protection.
The best van security camera for van life is the JoinLgo Camera System because it comes with four cameras that record everything in and around the vehicle. You can choose between a 7-inch and 10-inch screen for the live feed and recordings, as well as 1080p and 720p recording quality.
Throughout this post, we’ll show you what to look for when getting a van security camera, our top choices on the market, and why they might be suitable choices for you. Enjoy!
What to Look For in a Van Life Security Camera
Van security systems can make a world of difference, but it’s important to know what your system should have. Below, we’ll discuss a handful of essential features.
- Camera quality: Parked in Paradise mentions the camera’s quality is crucial. Your van life camera should offer 720p images at the very least. Anything below 720p won’t be clear enough for recordings and live feeds. 1080p and 4k images are even better, but we’ve included all three options on our list.
- Positioning: Where will you put the camera? Some people prefer to place the system on the dashboard, while others have them outside of the van for all-around visuals. You can also use rear and front security cameras to use while driving or parked. Nerd Techy recommends bolting outdoor cameras to the van to prevent them from being stolen.
- Quantity: How many cameras do you need? Van lifers should be able to see everything around their van at all times, but some of these cameras have wide-angle recording. You could choose between one to four or more cameras to protect your van. Keep that in mind when selecting a kit from our selection.
Without further ado, let’s jump into the best van security cameras for van life.
Our Top Picks
- Best Overall: JoinLgo Car Camera System
- Best Smart Camera: Van True Hidden Dash Cam
- Best for High-Quality Recording: AREBI Hidden Spy Cam
- Best for Portability: Rove R2-4K Camera
|Product Image||Product Name / Primary Rating / Description||Check Price|
【EASY WIRING】: PLUG AND PLAY. Wiring via 4 pin connector, connector with a waterproof rubber ring. The wired car camera system can get more stable video than a wireless system when driving fast.
Best Overall: JoinLgo Car Camera System
At the top of the list is the JoinLgo Car Camera System with four 1080p cameras that you can mount inside or outside of the van. You’ll also receive a four-channel recording device with multiple 10-meter cables for each camera. These cameras include free software to view, delete, or save to your computer.
Each camera has a motion detector that starts recording when something or someone moves within proximity. You can turn off the motion detector and choose when to start recording. Cycle through each camera’s channel on the screen or split them at the same time for continuous viewing on all sides.
- 720p to 1080p recording and playback
- Choose between a 7-inch or 10-inch high-definition screen
- Includes a two-year manufacturer warranty
- Up to 512GB of stored video footage split between two memory cards
- Compatible with up to two monitors simultaneously
【Dual 1080P Hidden Dash cam】The front and rear cameras simultaneously capture the road front (170°) and rear (160°) in crystal detail at FHD 1920x1080P @30fps.
Best for High-Quality Recording: Van True Hidden Dash Cam
The Van True Hidden Dash Cam boasts some of the best recording quality available. It records 4K footage around the clock with two cameras (one for the front and one for the back). These wide-angle cameras cover up to a 170-degree angle, letting you see everything in front and behind the vehicle. They can draw power from solar systems or the van’s battery.
You’ll also enjoy the fact that these cameras show GPS, record accidents, are weather-resistant, and are temperature-resistant. They can fluctuate between -4 degrees to 158 degrees Fahrenheit without experiencing recording issues. They also have an automatic nighttime and low-light setting to brighten the camera’s images.
- Include an 18-month manufacturer warranty
- Comes with variable recording quality ranging from 720p to 4K
- Uses an automatic nighttime sensor for all-day and all-night recording
- Records GPS signals for accident locations
- Includes a USB cable and 12V vehicle adapter plug
Wi-Fi Spy Camera of 2021 The Latest Version: This spy camera A10 Plus is the latest wide angle Wi-Fi camera of small size with built-in magnet supporting both iOS and Android devices.
Best Smart Camera: AREBI Hidden Spy Cam
Do you want a high-quality camera system for van life without breaking the bank? The AERBI Hidden Spy Cam is the best low-budget camera that includes smartphone compatibility. You can review and download recordings from the camera. They can be attached anywhere on or in the van for constant recording and live feeds.
This camera includes night vision, motion sensing, WiFi connectivity, and up to 30 hours of recording. It has a USB cable for quick charging to help you record whenever you need to. There’s also an included app and the potential for a SD card for storage. Every option can be customized on the smartphone app, so there’s no need to move the camera.
- iOS and Android compatible
- Can charge and record at the same time
- Motion detection and night vision recording
- 1080p 150-degree wide-angle recording and live feed
- Lasts up to 30 hours per charge
- Compact design to fit almost anywhere inside or outside the van
The Rove R2-4k dash camera can record videos up to a resolution of 2160p. Use the ROVE App to view and manage dash cam recordings instantly on your iOS and Android devices.
Best for Portability: Rove R2-4K Camera
Last but not least is the portable Rove R2-4K Camera. It includes a digital display that can be mounted anywhere inside of the van. You can also connect it to your smartphone to view, edit, and download the footage. Furthermore, this camera records up to 4K UHD with GPS detection and WiFi connectivity.
If you want to get fancy with your security camera, you can view it in a time-lapse or slow-mo mode. You can hook it to an SD storage card with up to 512GB of storage or download everything to your smartphone. Much like most other van life camera systems on our list, this one has night vision recording capabilities.
- 4K recording and storage
- Wide-angle visuals at all times
- One-year warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee
- On-screen GPS and camera monitoring
Here are some of my favorite van build tools:
Thank you for reading this article. I hope you found it helpful as you build your own campervan. Here are some tools that I use daily while living on the road that made my life easier. I hope you’ll also find them as useful as me. These are affiliate links, so if you do decide to purchase any of them, I’ll earn a commission.
But in all honesty, these are the exact tools that I use and recommend to everyone, even my closest friends and family.
Electricity: When I first started my van life journey, I was using the Renogy 200W RV Kit, and I’ve recently upgraded my setup to the Renogy 400W RV Kit. I’m fully autonomous regarding power now, thanks to this upgrade. I don’t know why I didn’t choose this option from the beginning.
Quick Fixes: Whenever I need to fix something inside my van, I use my multitool from Victorinox. It’s compact and comes with a leather pouch that lets you store it wherever you want. Whenever I need more tools, I get my Cartmann toolset out.
Power tools: If you’re converting a van, you’ll need some serious tools for the building process. I can assure you, good power tools can make a huge difference. You’ll save time and avoid a lot of frustration while having some professional-looking final results. I personally went big with the full combo set from Dewalt.
To see all of my most up-to-date recommendations about van build, check out this resource that I made for you!