Hi-van is supported by its audience. When you purchase using our links, we may earn an affiliate commission (no added cost to you). Learn more
Van life is full of excitement and new adventures, but it’s important to protect your belongings when you’re not in the vehicle. The last thing you need is to worry about people getting too close to the van or trying to take something, so having a security camera can provide much-needed protection.
The Nest Cam Outdoor is the best camera to secure your RV because it has a great video quality, two-way audio, night vision, familiar face detection, and a 24/7 recording option. It’s weatherproof and you can install it yourself and point it anywhere with the unique magnetic mount. No hub required.
Throughout this post, we’ll show you what to look for when getting a van security camera, our top choices on the market, and why they might be suitable choices for you. Enjoy!
What to Look For in a Van Life Security Camera
Van security systems can make a world of difference, but it’s important to know what your system should have. Below, we’ll discuss a handful of essential features.
Our Top Picks
|Product Image||Product Name / Description||Check Price|
- Nest Cam has built-in intelligence and can tell the difference between a person, animal, and vehicle and send alerts directly through the Google Home app.
- Easily check in from anywhere 24/7
- Put Nest Cam anywhere, outside or in; it’s battery powered, so you don’t need to set it up near an outlet, and the magnetic mount makes installation effortless
Best Overall: Nest Cam Outdoor
- Easily check in from anywhere 24/7
The Google Nest Cam is an excellent choice for your RV security needs, offering top-notch features with some minor drawbacks.
- Intelligent alerts distinguishing people, animals, and vehicles
- 1080p HDR video with night vision and 3 hours of event video history
- Easy installation with a magnetic mount
- Requires Google Home app and Google Account
- No continuous video recording without subscription
You’ll find the Google Nest Cam to be a dependable addition to your RV security, as it presents intelligent alerts that can distinguish between people, animals, and vehicles. This option sends notifications straight to your Google Home app, so you’ll always be in the know about any security concerns.
The camera provides 1080p HDR video along with night vision, allowing you to clearly monitor your surroundings at any time. Plus, you’ll have access to 3 hours of event video history, ensuring you’ll never miss a moment.
The installation of the Nest Cam is a breeze, thanks to its battery-powered design and magnetic mount. You can place it anywhere, outside or inside your RV, with no need to worry about being near an outlet. However, keep in mind that this camera requires the use of the Google Home app and a free Google Account. Sadly, it is not compatible with the Nest app, which could cause inconvenience for those already invested in the Nest ecosystem.
Additionally, if you’re looking for continuous video recording, you’ll need to purchase a Nest Aware subscription separately. Despite these limitations, the Google Nest Cam still delivers high-quality video and smart features that make it worth considering for your RV security needs.
FAQ about the Nest Cam Outdoor:
- Can it be hooked up to a
Yes, it has an ecosystem of accessories that allow you to hook it up to a
solar panel, among other options.
- Can I mount the plate with a product like 3M command strips or heavy-duty outdoor tape?
It is recommended to use the wall anchors and screws provided with Nest Cam (Battery) for secure installation rather than relying on adhesive tapes. But If you have no choice it will do the work. You might want to regularly check if the adhesive is still holding correctly.
- Does the 2nd Gen Nest Cam pan or tilt?
No, the 2nd Gen Nest Cam does not have pan or tilt capabilities.
- Will the camera work well through a window?
The camera’s wide-angle lens allows for flexible placement. However, to ensure clear visibility and motion detection, it’s important to position the camera where it can view the whole scene without obstructions to avoid any glare or reflections.
- Is the mount magnetic and suitable for placement on a metal surface?
Yes, the mount of the Nest Cam (battery) is magnetic and can be placed on a metal surface. Alternatively, wall plates and screws are included for mounting on other surfaces.
Youtube review of Nest Outdoor Camera for RV
Best Wired Camera System: JoinLgo Car Camera System
【EASY WIRING】: PLUG AND PLAY. Wiring via 4 pin connector, connector with a waterproof rubber ring. The wired car camera system can get more stable video than a wireless system when driving fast.
At the top of the list is the JoinLgo Car Camera System with four 1080p cameras that you can mount inside or outside of the van. You’ll also receive a four-channel recording device with multiple 10-meter cables for each camera. These cameras include free software to view, delete, or save to your computer.
Each camera has a motion detector that starts recording when something or someone moves within proximity. You can turn off the motion detector and choose when to start recording. Cycle through each camera’s channel on the screen or split them at the same time for continuous viewing on all sides.
- 720p to 1080p recording and playback
- Choose between a 7-inch or 10-inch high-definition screen
- Includes a two-year manufacturer warranty
- Up to 512GB of stored video footage split between two memory cards
- Compatible with up to two monitors simultaneously
- A few customers mentioned that the video quality was not as good as they expected, especially at night.
- Doesn’t have a motion detection system
FAQ about the JoinLgo Car Camera System
- Can I choose which camera to display on the monitor?
Yes, you can choose to view one camera, two cameras, or use the quad view option to display multiple cameras simultaneously.
- Is the installation process easy for someone who wants to do it themselves?
Yes, the installation is easy and straightforward. Simply follow the instructions provided.
- Does the camera system have a motion detection feature for when the vehicle is parked?
No, the camera system does not have a motion detection feature. It records continuously and overwrites older footage once the storage is full.
- Can I control which camera is shown in full screen on the monitor using a separate remote?
Yes, you can control the display by using the remote control that comes with the DVR. Simply press the corresponding number for the desired camera channel.
- Are wireless cameras available for this system? I need to mount them on my semi-trailer and can’t run cords.
No, wireless cameras are not available for this system. The cameras need to be connected via cords to the DVR.
Youtube review for the JoinLgo Car Camera System
Best for Battery Life: Eufy 4K Camera with Solar Panel
- See 4K Detail Day and Night
- Forever Power Durability: eufyCam 3 is self-sustaining in any outdoor environment with an integrated solar panel.
- Local Expandable Storage
This RV security camera system is the perfect solution for those looking to up their RV security game without breaking the bank.
- 4K detail for day and night
- Forever Power Durability with
- Expandable local storage up to 16TB
- May take some time to learn facial recognition
- Needs 2 hours of daily sunlight for solar charging
- Requires additional purchase for expanded storage
When you’re out exploring the great outdoors, it’s essential to ensure your RV is secure from potential trespassers. The Eufy Security S330 eufyCam 3 2-Cam Kit offers you peace of mind with its 4K detail for day and night, making it easy to spot any unwanted guests, even in low light conditions. The camera’s Forever Power Durability, powered by solar panels, means you don’t have to worry about constantly charging the system. Plus, you can expand the local storage up to 16TB, giving you control over your data.
Of course, no product is perfect, and the Eufy S330 eufyCam 3 does have its drawbacks. The facial recognition feature, while helpful for distinguishing between family and strangers, may take some time to learn and recognize faces. Additionally, if your RV won’t be exposed to at least 2 hours of daily sunlight, the solar charging feature may not be as effective. Lastly, if you require more than the built-in 16GB of storage, you’ll need to purchase an additional portable hard drive.
Overall, the Eufy Security S330 eufyCam 3 2-Cam Kit is a solid investment for those seeking an affordable and reliable RV security camera system. Its impressive features and room for storage expansion make it a great option for keeping your RV safe and secure while you focus on enjoying your adventures.
FAQ about the Eufy Solar Camera
- Is eufyCam 3 compatible with Apple HomeKit?
No, eufyCam 3 is not currently compatible with Apple HomeKit. Eufy teams says it should come around mid-2023.
- Is Homebase 3 backwards compatible with Eufycam 2 pro?
If you used Apple HomeKit with your Eufycam 2 pro cameras, Homebase 3 does NOT support HomeKit.
- What is the range of the hub?
In most cases, the camera can be placed up to 30ft away from the HomeBase for a stronger signal. However, the actual range may vary depending on factors such as wall thickness, obstacles inside the house/vehicle, and the location of the HomeBase.
- How efficient is the built-in
solar panelof eufyCam 3 requires only 2 hours of daily sunlight for Forever Power, making it self-sustaining in any outdoor environment.
- What kind of hard drive can I use to expand the storage of HomeBase 3?
You can use a portable hard drive to expand the storage of HomeBase 3. The system has 16 GB of built-in storage, and you can expand it up to 16 TB with a compatible portable hard drive.
- Does the system support 24/7 recording?
Yes, with the local 4K security camera system of eufyCam 3, you can have 24/7 recording. There is no need for a monthly fee, and you have control over your own data with advanced encryption.
- Is HomeBase 3 compatible with other eufy Security products?
Yes, HomeBase 3 is compatible with other eufy Security products, allowing you to expand and customize your security system according to your needs.
Youtube review of Eufy Solar Camera
A budget-friendly option for RV security with impressive battery life and easy installation.
- Long-lasting battery life (up to 2 years)
- Weather-resistant and suitable for outdoor use
- Straightforward, quick setup
- Requires a subscription plan for cloud storage
- Local storage needs separate purchase (Sync Module 2)
- Limited customization for motion detection
The Blink Outdoor security camera offers long-lasting, wireless protection for your RV. With up to two years of battery life on just two AA lithium batteries (included), you don’t have to worry about constantly replacing or recharging the device, giving you more time to enjoy your adventures. Its weather-resistant design ensures it can withstand harsh outdoor conditions, protecting your home on wheels come rain or shine.
Setting up your Blink Outdoor camera is a breeze – no need for professional installation or any complicated wiring. You can have it up and running within minutes, granting you peace of mind right away. To make things even better, the Blink Home Monitor app allows you to get motion detection alerts on your phone, and you can even customize your motion zones, ensuring you’re only alerted when it’s truly necessary.
On the downside, the Blink Outdoor camera requires a subscription plan if you want to store your video clips and photos in the cloud. Additionally, if you prefer local storage, you’ll need to purchase the Sync Module 2 separately. And while the motion detection is one of the key features of this security camera, its customization options are somewhat limited, which might not suit everyone’s preferences.
In conclusion, if you’re searching for an affordable, wireless RV security camera with an impressive battery life and easy setup, the Blink Outdoor camera certainly fits the bill. However, be prepared to invest in a subscription plan or a separate storage module to make the most of its features.
- How fast do they begin recording after motion?
It all depends on your app settings and the angle and location of your Nest Camera. Some user recommended using a sensitivity of 75% and the capture time to 1 minute, which helped them capture all the movements.
- What size flash drive can be used to store files on the sync module 2?
The Sync Module 2 can accept up to a 256 GB USB flash drive.
- Will this connect to my existing Blink system?
Yes, the Blink Outdoor/Indoor Battery Camera is compatible with all generations of Blink cameras and sync modules.
- Can you view recent recordings via the app if you use the USB for local storage?
No, you cannot use the local storage to view recent recordings via the app. You must subscribe to the cloud service to see your recordings.
- Does the camera come with mounts?
Yes, the Blink Outdoor/Indoor Battery Camera comes with standard mounting brackets and hardware.
- What is the wireless range of this device?
The Sync Module should be able to communicate with Blink camera units up to 100ft away in any direction.
- What do I need to buy if I don’t have any of the Blink system?
If you buy the camera kit, it comes with the camera, two batteries, a mounting kit (with screws), and the sync module you need.
When it comes to the best RV security cameras, there are several factors to consider. Here, we’ve listed some key points to help guide your decision-making process:
- Purpose: Consider why you’re interested in installing an RV security camera. Is it for theft prevention, surrounding monitoring, or to keep an eye on your rig when you’re not around? Identifying the primary purpose will help you focus on the specific features you’ll need.
- Power source: Battery-powered cameras are an increasingly popular choice, as they’re easy to install and don’t require a hardwired connection. Alternatively, wired cameras can be connected to your RV’s electrical system, whereas solar-powered models offer you to record almost endlessly.
- App capabilities & Subscription: Most modern RV security cameras come with an associated app, allowing you to easily access live footage, change settings, and receive alerts on your smartphone. Consider what the app has to offer for free and what will require a premium subscription to work.
- Price & warranty: Finally, factor in your budget when choosing an RV security camera. Don’t forget to check if the camera comes with a warranty and customer support in case you encounter any issues during setup or use.
– Is living in a van dangerous? A safety guide for newbies