Hi-van is supported by its audience. When you purchase using our links, we may earn an affiliate commission (no added cost to you). Learn more
A camping candle lantern is an excellent way to light and warm a tent, as it can be used for a variety of purposes. Nothing beats being warm and cozy in a tent with a candle flickering in the background, especially while the wind is howling outside. But how much heat can a candle lantern provide?
A candle lantern will heat a tent. A single candle lamp will warm an average-sized tent and keep the winter chill at bay. To safely and effectively warm the tent, a candle lantern should be hung in the center of the tent. However, you might want to add a battery-powered heater for extra warmth.
The purpose of a candle lantern, how to use a candle lantern, and common models are all covered in the rest of this page. So let’s get started, shall we?
What Is a Candle Lantern’s Purpose?
A candle lantern’s purpose is to provide light and warmth. In a candle lantern, a glass chimney is snuggled inside an aluminum or brass base. There’s a candle in the base, and the chimney is raised when it’s in use and lowered when it’s not in use for storage and transit.
Let’s take a look at some popular candle lantern models.
Models of Popular Candle Lanterns
There are numerous candle lantern models available, but these are some of the most popular. They are all available on Amazon.com:
Classic, long-burning collapsible candle lantern that has provided warm natural light to thousands of outdoor enthusiasts for decades.
- UCO’s Original Collapsible Candle Lantern: This collapsible lantern is lightweight and can fold down so that you can pack it in amongst your camping gear. It also has a 9-hour candle.
- UCO Original Candle Lanterns Value Pack: This lantern has a collapsible lid and is made of genuine brass. And it comes with three candles instead of one.
- UCO Long-Burning Tealight Candles: These tealight candles come in a package of 6, so you’ll not run out during your camping trip. The wick is specially designed to reduce wax build-up, so it’s great for your camping lantern.
- LED Camping Lantern, 4 in 1 Lantern Flashlight with 3 Light Modes: While this camping lantern does not come with a candle, it is still ideal for camping. It comes with an LED bulb, and it can hang up in your tent for hands-free light.
- Candlelier Deluxe Candle Lantern: This candle lantern provides ample light with several viewing slots and three candles to light your tent. It also removes condensation in your tent.
- Provides ample light, warms surroundings, and helps remove condensation.
- Heats small amounts of water or food on a heat shield.
How To Set Up a Camping Candle Lantern
A candle lantern should be hung in a tent rather than set on the floor, as this is a fire hazard. The following are some simple instructions for using a candle lantern when camping:
- Slide the chimney up and away from the foundation.
- Unscrew the base to remove it.
- Place the candle on the table.
- The candle should be lit.
- Install the base and secure it with a screw in the chimney.
- With the stainless steel handle that comes with the lantern, hang it from a loop on your tent ceiling.
- Keep the flame contained and protected from the wind.
- Note that the spring-loaded base ensures that the candle flame remains at a constant height as it burns.
Why Candle Lanterns Are Useful for Camping
Candle lanterns are quite popular among campers because they are always effective, compact, and lightweight.
Here are a few more reasons why candle lanterns are fantastic:
- They’re appropriate for usage in a tent.
- A properly used UCO lamp can be used in a tent.
- Candle lanterns are simple to use.
- Unlike most other camping lights, they don’t have any parts that break or batteries that die.
- As long as you have matches and spare candles, you can have unlimited light.
- They aid in maintaining your body’s temperature.
- A candle lantern creates enough heat to warm a small tent on a cold night.
- A camping candle lantern can also help to decrease condensation in a tent.
- Backpacking with these lamps is a breeze.
- Models might weigh as little as 7.5 oz (210 g).
Tips for Buying and Using a Candle Lantern
Here are some tips to keep in mind when buying and using a candle lantern:
- Purchase UCO candles because they are of superior quality.
- Purchase moderately priced candles.
- Keep in mind that each candle burns for about 9 hours and costs less than $0.25 per hour.
- Candles made of beeswax or citronella are also available.
- Candle lanterns can cause fires, so be cautious.
- Never touch the heat shield after you’ve blown out the candle, which is the round metal top.
- For candle lanterns, invest in some heat protection.
- Candle lanterns are extremely hot for a long time, which is hot enough to burn your skin.
- Never leave a candle lantern within reach of your youngsters.
- Maintain the upright position of the unit.
- Make sure the unit is straight once the candle is lit.
- For candle lanterns, use a chimney.
- If you tilt the wax, it’ll pour. It won’t harm anything, but it’ll make a mess on the inside of the glass chimney.
- For added safety, bring a light source, such as a flashlight or a headlamp.
- With the candle lantern, you can play cards or read a book.
- You can use your candle lanterns even if you aren’t in a tent. For example, after you get home from camping, you might wish to use them on your patio.
Accessories You Might Want To Buy
A variety of optional attachments are included with the candle lantern, including:
- Protective case: A fleece case will protect the glass chimney from scratches. A neoprene case provides even greater protection, which is a great idea for fitting the candle lantern inside a backpack.
- Reflectors: Two choices are a top reflector that concentrates light downwards and a side reflector that concentrates light horizontally. Each one will increase the amount of light that your lantern emits.
- A set of LED lights: To have the best of both worlds, use an LED Upgrade Kit to attach an LED to the lantern’s base. You may have the ambiance of a candle when you want it, and the brilliance of an LED when you need it.
- A collection of repair components: A candle lantern can endure for over 15 years with proper care and will never need to be repaired. However, just in case, you should have a set of repair parts on hand.
Candle lanterns are functional, economical, and practical. They’re ideal for tent campers in general, and they’re particularly effective at keeping a tent warm. The Original Collapsible Candle Lantern and the UCO Original Candle Lantern Value Pack are two popular models.
Find this content useful 🙂 ?
Subscribe to our Newsletter and get a free Solar Electric Diagram + shopping list.